Friday, July 24, 2009

Another high-effort ride

I rode 35 miles on the bike today (17.5 mph avg), but threw in 5x 1 mile repeats, pretty much all out (with a recovery mile between each). I also threw my chain today for the first time in years. My front derailleur still isn't adjusted quite right, and as the ride went on, it became increasingly more difficult to bump from my middle chain ring up to my large. Finally, at an intersection, a driver stopped to let me go, and when I stomped on the pedal, off went my chain. Had to stop and fix it, obviously, then continued with black, greasy hands. After that, I was pretty much relegated to my middle chain ring. I'll have to fix it before my next ride.

I can tell my quads are starting to get stronger. I haven't been riding a lot (3-4 times/week lately), but have thrown in a lot of intensity in just about every ride. I really sense the need for recovery time, so I'm listening to my body. I could probably do easy rides between my harder ones, but in this case, I don't think there would be much benefit...especially with my race coming up in just three weeks. I could be wrong, but quality is my main objective right now.

Okay, back to work. Have a great Friday night, folks!

3 comments:

  1. You see, that kinda thing just doesn't happen with running shoes. snicker snicker

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I'm having enough trouble staying motivated to ride instead of run. That didn't help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those damn derailleurs are a pain in the butt.

    I've been riding all my life and still cannot seem to keep them perfectly adjusted for more than a week.

    Lately, to get mine on the small gear up front, I have to "help" it by pressing the chain to the left with my shoe to get it to drop down, then it wil drop down and not rub against anything.

    Until it starts rubbing the derailleur again, I won't bother adjusting it.

    ReplyDelete