Thursday, January 21, 2010

An Ultra...In My Slippers

There's a saying that nobody wants to hear about your dreams unless they're in them. Well, unless you're my friend Arthur, you may want to move on.

But in case you're interested, last night I had a very realistic dream that I was running my first ultramarathon - a 50k, somewhere on the east side of the Puget Sound area (i.e. Bellevue, Redmond, Issaquah, etc.), while wearing my slippers! It was a terribly muddy course, which ran directly through a soccer field (with a game underway), through a school's hallways, up a huge muddy hill, and through both neighborhoods and wilderness areas. I was trying to stick with the group of runners I was with (including Arthur), but ended up spending too much time at an aid station, chatting with volunteers and forgetting I was in a race, and got left behind. I was worried about getting lost on the course, but then realized that the race directors had marked the course with a thin chain laying on the ground...the entire length of the race! I was able to follow it and finish the race feeling hardly any fatigue. That alone proves it was only a dream!

I don't know what this means, but at least I know I can complete an ultra in my dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment