Friday, January 8, 2010

Uh Oh

I hinted in my previous post that my body has been giving me signs I just don't wanna read. My mind is writing checks my body don't wanna cash. My synapses are sending signals my legs don't wanna translate...etc.

I went out for an easy-paced 12 mile run today. The first 6 miles were in pouring rain. I got drenched to the bone. During the last few miles, my left hip and glute (just behind the hip joint) got really tight and sore. It actually affected my ability to push off with my left leg. I was also feeling some tweaks from the outside of my right knee, just below, actually (probably the ol' IT band issue). And, after the run, my upper right calf (which I've been feeling for several days now) felt really sore, like a minor muscle pull. I've run 50.5 miles in the last 7 days, which, for me, is high mileage. I don't necessarily think the mileage is the issue, though. I believe the 10-mile tempo run I busted out two days ago, wearing my new Brooks Launch (i.e. less support) may have contributed to the problems.

Instead of an early 1-hour group run tomorrow morning, I'll take tomorrow as a rest day and see how things feel on Sunday. With a half marathon coming up on Jan. 16th, I don't want to risk making things worse. And with my first full marathon coming up in May, now is the time to make the necessary adjustments in order to avoid injuries, if possible. I've been fortunate the past year by not really getting injured. Now that I'm pushing things, here come the reminders that a little cross training may come in handy, as well as backing off every few weeks, even during this base building period.

Fingers crossed...

No comments:

Post a Comment