Thursday, May 14, 2009

Stretching out the distance

Ran 8 miles today, which is the longest I've run since 2004. Did it in 1:06:58 (8:22 pace...8:15-8:30 is my "cruise control" pace, apparently). It was an out-and-back course. Was very consistent: 33:31 out, 33:27 back. I only felt an IT band twinge a few times on the way out, then nothing on the way back. I tried to do some forefoot running for about a mile, until I felt a tweak in my upper right calf. I still tried to strike more midfoot than heel-toe. Maybe I'll give Newtons a go someday...when I can afford a pair!
For me, this distance is kind of a benchmark. If I can run an easy 8, I know I can do a double-digit run. Since my bowling team is competing for the title tonight, maybe I shouldn't have done my longest run in 5 years today...but man, if felt good! If I have the energy, I'd like to end my training week with a 40-mile bike ride tomorrow. Next week I'll keep things shorter, but more intense. I want to half-train for my 5k on June 13th. Not looking for a PR, but I don't want to embarrass myself, either.

1 comment: