Saturday, March 6, 2010

Another Week In The Books

This was an interesting running week (officially week 6 of current marathon training plan). There were no long runs, yet it was my highest mileage week so far this year. The first five runs this week were all over an hour. Wednesday's run was a challenging progression run (each mile faster) on a hilly dirt trail (loop). By Friday, I was feeling pretty fatigued. Took an ice bath after Friday's run. This morning (Saturday) was my weekly group run. Ran 6 miles at just under 8 min/mile and felt strong and fresh. Go figure. I'll be taking tomorrow off, then running 18 miles on Monday...which will be my longest run ever. I'm both intimidated by it and looking forward to it!

Here are this week's numbers:

Runs: 6
Miles: 44
Long: 8 (3 times)
Time: 6:21:10

Year-to-date running miles: 368.8

Have a great weekend!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Colin,
    Great job this week! Good luck with your long run on Monday! I hope that you enjoy the rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Julie! Looks like today is our last day of nice weather for awhile. Might be running 18 miles in the rain on Monday! Oh well. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if I'll handle the ice bath at all. Maybe I'll try after my marathon in two weeks. Then again, this is Africa, we don't do many ice related things here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job Colin. Don't let the 18 frighten you too much. I remember the 18 being the point in my training where I felt great. 15, 16, and 17 all were difficult the first time, but for some reason when I hit 18 it seemed easy. (or easier than I thought) It was the first out of the long distance runs that I didn't walk part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Johann, if you can get past the first few minutes of discomfort (and the shivering after you get out), the ice bath is worth the pain. I really notice the difference in the next day or two. My legs feel fresher and more recovered.
    Adam, thanks for the vote of confidence. I've run 15 twice, and it felt good both times, so maybe 18 will go well. I've been feeling a little drained lately, so hopefully that won't be a factor. I'm heading out in about an hour, so I'll soon find out. Thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with the other Adam. The higher mileage runs are ALL in your head. Don't overthink and just let the run come to you!

    ReplyDelete