Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Longer than 5 years

I just checked my old running logs today and I was mistaken about when I last ran a race (before last Saturday). It was Dec. 6 of 2003 (not 2004), so I guess it's been 5 1/2 years since I last raced. No biggie, but for some reason I was thinking it was in '04. It was interesting reading my entries in my logbook leading up to that race. I think I was overtraining quite a bit. I ended up running a 22:08 in that 5k (not much faster than the 22:20 I just ran) on MANY more miles than I've put in so far this year. I remember running a very hard hill workout the week before, plus another one a few days before the race, and not really tapering. My entry on race day says I had some kind of chest virus & had trouble breathing. If you don't keep a training log with notes on how you're feeling, I would strongly suggest it. I just need to refer back to mine more often. It gives you a good idea on what type of training works and what doesn't. Currently, running a bit less, combined with cross training, seems to be working well for me. I'd love to run MUCH more, but I'm more concerned with not injuring myself like I have so many times in the past.
I'll be doing some weight work today, then will run again tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment