Sunday, August 30, 2009

Thoughts on Recovery

Today is a scheduled day off for me - from both running AND work. I made note on my Facebook page that this month, I've worked more hours than the previous three months (May, June, July) COMBINED! Although I must admit that in May, I worked a grand total of 9 hours. I'm self-employed, and with the current economy, my business has taken a beating. Fortunately, things seem to be turning around, for now, anyway. I say all this to bring up the issue of recovery. This month, as my work has increased dramatically, I've also increased my running mileage and intensity quite a bit. I don't know if it's just me, but I don't seem to recover as quickly as I think I should. Granted, I'm in my 40's now, have a family and, as I mentioned, have the stress of self-employment. Yesterday morning, I ran 8 miles at a fairly easy pace. It started feeling harder as the run progressed. I wasn't actually struggling to finish it, but I could tell that fatigue was setting in - more so than in previous long runs. I'm pretty sure that Thursday's speed session took a lot out of me. Yesterday I ended up taking TWO naps during the day. I was wiped out. I'd like to do some strength training today, but I don't know if I have the energy.

What are your thoughts on recovery - particularly if you're in my age group? How do you deal with balancing an increase in mileage and/or intensity with the need to stay fresh enough to run effectively...and not get injured and/or sick?

2 comments:

  1. Something I do to keep from getting injured is Yoga. Having that flexibility really helps keep me from getting injured. Also I take a multivitamin once a day to make sure that my body is getting all the stuff it needs to rebuild and keep me from getting sick.

    The way I see it, if the Creator of the universe took a day off then I think it a day of recovery is good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks George, I agree. I really need to make time to try yoga. I do stretch somewhat regularly, take vitamins, use my foam roller, take days off, etc, but I think yoga would be a good addition to the program...especially as I get older and, unfortunately, less flexible!

    ReplyDelete