Monday, May 4, 2009

Another 35-mile Ride

Just returned from a really nice 35-mile bike ride on my regular out-and-back course (17.5 mph average). Went out at a moderate pace, then on the way back, from miles 20-30, I did intervals of 1 mile hard, 1 mile easy. Really hammered the hard miles. Not only is 35 miles seeming shorter, but a 17 mph pace seems almost pedestrian...BUT...I haven't started training hills yet. That'll be a new and challenging experience. Maybe I'll do 2-3 weeks more of these types of interval rides, then start pounding the hills. I hate to say it, but my running intensity is probably going to start taking a back seat to the cycling now. I really want to be ready to take on the 12 miles of uphill on the first part of the triathlon bike leg I'm doing in August. Lately, I'm actually enjoying the riding, so maybe I can stay focused. But after the triathlon, much more effort will go into running.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like a really great ride! I like the idea of 1 easy mile/1 hard mile. I think I'll start to incorporate that one into my rides.

    I know what you mean about 35 miles seeming easy. While I haven't gotten to 35 miles myself, yet, I typically do one or two 20 milers a week and they seem like nothing to me now.

    How long did it take you to ride the 35 miles? Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I broke two hours...barely (1:59:45). Even though the bike leg of the race is only 28 miles, I may stretch out my long ride to 40 or 50 before I back off the mileage and work on hill intervals. I can feel my legs getting stronger, so maybe they'll be somewhat ready for hill work. Good luck w/your training. Sounds like you're really doing well!

    ReplyDelete