Saturday, November 5, 2011

Interesting Article

Here's an article that shares some interesting thoughts about Chris McDougall and his nearly evangelical approach to THE way to run. No, I have no beef with McDougall (I read and mostly enjoyed Born to Run), but I've never been a fan of the idea that there's only one way to skin a cat. I certainly don't advocate overstriding or slamming down on one's heels while running, but I don't buy into the 'let's all throw out our evil cushioned running shoes' philosophy, either. Okay, enough editorializing from me. Here's the link.


3 comments:

  1. There is a lot to editorialize about in that article - for two responses from critics more qualified than you or I, see Pete Larson's blog at http://www.runblogger.com/2011/11/my-thoughts-on-perfect-running-form-and.html and Alex Hutchinson's especially indicting commentary at http://sweatscience.com/chris-mcdougall-on-the-one-true-way-to-run/ - bottom line is it seems that Mr. McDougall has stepped over the line from "objective scientist" to "storyteller" (and frankly, he probably did so at the time of Born to Run anyway).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you read Greg McMillan's latest article on form fixes in running times? Basically he asserts that if we apply some BASIC principles to our own stride (cuz we all have different ones) we over time run safely and more efficiently. I've tried it. I'm a believer. It all starts with keeping your back straight. Mom was on to something!!

    Just like anything else in life, there is always more than one way to do something. Methinks anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greg & Adrienne, I'll check out the articles you mention, thanks. Again, I don't disagree with the idea that there are indeed WRONG ways to run, but it seems that McDougall has, like Greg says, stepped over the line. Hey, our ancestors not only ran barefoot, but they also wore animal skins, lived in caves and had no written alphabet. Shouldn't we pursue that purity as well? ;-)

    ReplyDelete