Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Another Follow Up With The Doc

Hello, my name is Colin, and it's been 121 days since I've run a step.

Yes, I'm still here!

I had another visit with my sports med doc this morning. It went pretty much as expected. Due to the little setback I had a couple of weeks ago, I won't begin a 'walk/run' program for yet another month. I was progressing through the 'strengthening phase' of the program (heel raises; both concentric with both feet and eccentric on each foot, adding a daily set each week, up to 3x10 of each) when I started feeling a persistent, dull ache in my injured heel. I quit doing any heel raises for a week, the slowly started back this past week with no noticeable pain. Over the next four weeks, my goal is to get back to doing the full amount of daily sets of the raises with no pain. If that happens, I'll add three short run/walk sessions per week.

As I've said before, my doctor is very conservative in his approach. I struggled with this idea early on in this process, but have now completely come to terms with it. I look at running as a lifelong activity (hopefully), so rushing to get back to it and risking a complete relapse isn't worth it.

While my doctor hasn't said the "S" word* lately, that's still kicking around in the back of my noggin. It's definitely not off the table. I still have a fear that when I eventually become able to start building up mileage and intensity, I'll end up injured again, since this deformed heel isn't going to un-deform itself. But I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Fortunately, my work has been unbelievably busy, which has kept me distracted enough to not pine away for running TOO much (although the email notices from races I ran last year have been bumming me out a little).

That's it for now. Still sidelined, aside from lifting weights and riding a stationary bike (haven't ventured outdoors yet). Oh, I will begin walking more, though, as time allows (I haven't had a day off from work in 29 days, as I write this).

And to my fellow injured runners, recovery quickly (and smartly)!


* "surgery", not "sarcophagus"

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear. Distraction is a helpful thing for injured runners, however. Sending healing vibes your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed with your Doc's and your slow and conservative approach. However, as you noted your deformed heel isn't going to undeform itself. From that perspective perhaps your ultimate choice will be an active and fulfilling life - but with no realistic chance of running - or the "S" word (with its attendant risks) to give you that realistic chance. Tough choice. Like Adrienne I'm sending you magical healing positive thoughts.

    ReplyDelete